Sunday, February 15, 2009

Alonza Vasquez

It’s 1920 and you, Alonzo Vasquez, are a Mexican immigrant to the United States. While you love your new country, it is very important to you that your family remember and honor your culture and traditions, many of which are tied to your homeland. You are increasingly worried that your children, in the process of becoming “American,” are ignoring the importance of their heritage. Why is it so important to you that your family retain some cultural connection to Mexico and your Mexican heritage? What evidence is there that your children are being wholly “Americanized?” What conflicts has this created between you and your children?


I am Alonzo Vasquez, an immigrant from Mexico. I came to America with my wife, two sons, and one daughter. I brought my family here in hopes for a better life. I had heard about the abundant opportunities here in America. I was seeking a steady job to provide for my family. I was also seeking for the ability to pursue my dreams without being persecuted. I, just like thousands of other immigrants, was hoping to live the "American Dream".

Life in America has not been how I had previously thought at all. My family and I now live in the lowest part of society. It is true that I have a job in a factory, but it is barely enough to feed myself and certainly not enough for anything else.

My family has changed so much. They have become really "Americanized". Our culture is to have a strong family bond. When we came to America, we lost that bond. Our family only cares about making money. Our culture puts value on the husband making the money and providing for the family. The mother's role is to take care of the house, cook, clean, and look after the children. The children's role is to be children and help out with chores. Now all our family cares about is money. Everybody works. The children who are not old enough to work have no supervision.

My family also does not speak our native language anymore. Many places do not allow peolpe to speak Spanish, we are all forced to learn and speak English. Our culture and background make us who we are. I am proud to be Mexican. I only came to America to provide for my Mexican family, not to become American. I have no idea what I am going to do if we can not go back to how we used to be. I feel like we are slowly but surely losing who we are in this new country.

1 comment:

  1. Your view on the Mexican culture was good and that you only came to America for a better life not to be Americanized.

    ReplyDelete